Re: network-manager as default? No! (was: Bits from the Release Team - Kicking off Wheezy)

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 02:09:09PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 01:07:12PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> > Debian is not about market-share, so losing users is no thread. It is
> > only an information for us that we no longer helpful to some of our
> > users.
>
> The problem is that such a message only conveys the information that
> *one* specific user will find our distro no long useful. In turn, that
> might induce other users to post ack/nack to -devel and that would
> hardly help driving technical discussions to conclusion.

I understand that you are in a position that forces you to think about
public relations and such, but if I were a DD I would be more happy if
DPL was a bit more focused on real problems.

> Ultimately, my point is that user feedback is very useful, but we should
> find better way to seek it (e.g. explicit polls) than encouraging users
> to post their feedback to -devel.

I manage packages in Debian. If you want me to stop doing that please
exress it more clearly.

--
Stanislav