Le jeudi 31 mars 2011 à 09:25 +0200, Vincent Danjean a écrit :
> Martin F. Krafft started to implement a replacement of ifupdown that
> is better designed. But, due to lack of manpower I think, this project
> did not finish. See this archives of netconf-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
> for more info.

I wonder what amount of features we are missing for network-manager to
do the job; instead of rewriting a daemon from scratch, we might as well
use one that was designed mostly for the same purpose. It’s
event-driven, it’s extensible, and its features list is already
impressive. Although it has some bugs remaining to fix, this would also
be the case of the new implementation.

The primary drawback I see is that some people object to having D-Bus
installed on their systems. But should we manage to get NM being the
default, we could keep ifupdown in the archive to manage trivial setups
with less disk/memory usage; just as an optional replacement.

--
 .''`.
: :' :     “You would need to ask a lawyer if you don't know