Re: network-manager as default? No! (was: Bits from the Release Team - Kicking off Wheezy)

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 10:11:03AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> But if network-manager would become default and ifupdown an optional
> replacement, I would question Debian's capacity to make technically
> excellent decisions and wonder, how much we have been dragged along
> by "user-friendly distros" and slid off the track.

I agree. If that happens I will seriously think about moving to
another distro (I have been using Debian since around 1999). Or maybe
to a *BSD.

Just for a record: on this _laptop_ the network is configured from
/etc/network/interfaces with extensively used mapping and self-written
scripts; also with wpa_supplicant for wireless and ifplugd to bring up
eth0 and openvpn tunnels when required. Never felt a need to switch to
something like wicd or network-manager.

--
Stanislav