Re: Packaging Openstack for Debian: anyone else interested?

On 03/28/2011 02:57 AM, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
few blunt cents: I would just

1. use something like
    https://github.com/yarikoptic/git-bzr
    to not mess with learning bzr and operate in GIT (unless upstream
    relies on some bzr mechanism to embed versioning during build etc)

Good idea, thanks.

2. base packaging on actual tarball instead of directly on top of
    the clone of upstream VCS

Of course, I will use tarballs as reference, but the idea is to pull from upstream VCS up to the latest *tag* corresponding to the tarball, so that I can "git cherry-pick -x" any (security) fix.

    that might prevent future pain if upstream decides to switch to
    another VCS

Frankly, I think it's silly that there's both Git, HG and Bzr around. It's a loss of time for everyone, when all of the above 3 seems very close from each other in terms of functionality.

Thomas