Re: Packaging Openstack for Debian: anyone else interested?

2011/3/27 Yaroslav Halchenko <yoh@debian.org>:
>> Also, Openstack is using bzr, and I know only (CVS and) Git. Does
>> anyone have good pointers to documentation not aimed at newbies, so
>> I don't waste my time too much?
>
> few blunt cents: I would just
>
> 1. use something like
>   https://github.com/yarikoptic/git-bzr
>   to not mess with learning bzr and operate in GIT (unless upstream
>   relies on some bzr mechanism to embed versioning during build etc)
>
>   NB checkout for fixes and alternative reimplementations (e.g. in
>   Python)

I'm reliably informed that git can't work with tildes in tags
(specifically in the context of git-bzr, at least). We a tag in bzr for
each version we upload to Ubuntu, and they are of the form
2011.2~bzrXXXX-0ubuntu1.

> 2. base packaging on actual tarball instead of directly on top of
>   the clone of upstream VCS

Our packaging is maintained completely separate from the upstream bzr.
We build a tarball for every commit to upstream trunk, and we use that
as the basis for our packaging.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Developer    http://www.ubuntu.com/