Re: Packaging Openstack for Debian: anyone else interested?

2011/3/27 Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org>:
> I already started in fact. I took the work made in Ubuntu, and did a
> bit of rework (I didn't like the rules.tiny debhelper style with so
> many overrides, or the fact that the rules didn't use setup.py...).

For years, Debian Developers have shouted and screamed whenever someone
in Ubuntu added something as benign as a patch system (so that their
indvidual changes would be easier to absorb back into Debian), and here
you are, saying you want to replace our build system altogether for no
good reason? No, I don't think having a couple of overrides is a good
reason to replace the build system, and your suggesting that our
debian/rules doesn't use setup.py really doesn't add much technical
credibility to your criticism, to be quite honest.

If you want to do this on your own, fine. I think it would be sad if we
couldn't make this good example of a "this is how Debian can be a
downstream of Ubuntu" story, but I can't force you to do anything. If
you actually expect to work with us, I suggest you stop assuming we're
idiots who don't know how to packages stuff and start being a courteous
downstream, and let's just say you've not got much of a head start on
that account.

> Is there anyone else interested? I might open a new project on Alioth for
> that, if we are a lot. If we are only 2, then colab-maint will be enough, I
> guess.

Or, you know, you could stop building new silos and actually work with
us. There's no technical reason why we couldn't share our packaging
efforts.

> Also, Openstack is using bzr, and I know only (CVS and) Git. Does
> anyone have good pointers to documentation not aimed at newbies, so I
> don't waste my time too much?

We tend to point people at http://wiki.openstack.org/LifeWithBzrAndLaunchpad

If you're used to a DVCS, bzr shouldn't be hard to grasp (unless you're
the sort of person who insists on rebasing a lot).

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Developer    http://www.ubuntu.com/