Re: Best practice for cleaning autotools-generated files?

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Assume please the following:
>
>   1. Unpack upstream source, copy debian/ dir into it
>   2. make -f debian/rules clean

You should have looked for a get-orig-sources target, first.  You just
skipped any orig source conditioning the maintainer had to do.

Let's assume none was required.

>   3. store the resulting build dir into a temporary dir say dir1
>   4. debuild
>   5. store a backup of your *.dsc + *diff*
>   6. make -f debian/rules clean
>   7. Now compare the build dir with dir1
>       --> you get a diff (for whatever reason there are several
>           examples - most of them because of broken clean targets
>           which do not clean up autogenerated files)

The packaging is broken, maybe in a minor way.  It depends on whether it
retools properly and will present the same differences no matter how many
times you rebuild, or do a different thing at every rebuild.

> I would consider this a situation which should be avoided if possible.

Sure, but it has nothing to do with using non-reversible transformations
during the build (such as removing files or retooling in-place).

It has everything to do with not doing a througout job in "debian/rules
clean", and not fixing/working around bugs in the upstream build system.

  Henrique Holschuh