Re: Best practice for cleaning autotools-generated files?

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:

> I just accept your opinion that repackaging is not warranted and I did
> not in the past - but I was never really sure whether this is really
> reasonable.  I'm somehow missing *clear* rules when to rebuild the orig
> tarball and when not.

My rule is: when there is something non-free or when the amount of
useless stuff is huge. For example I would repack a tarball with a
small program and 20Mb of embedded code copies of all its dependencies
to remove the deps.

> I understand the requirement to build a package "twice in a row" as it
> was discussed here[1] (including link to policy) that the removal of
> those files is not OK.

Eh? Rebuilding twice in a row would remove the files, regenerate them,
remove them, regenerate them. I can't see how the second regeneration
would fail if the first one did not.

--
bye,
pabs