Re: Best practice for cleaning autotools-generated files?

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:21:52AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > 5. Cheerfully ignore any purists complaining that debian/rules clean does
> >   not restore whatever crap was there upstream.
>
> I generally don't bother with these unless I'm patching the autotools
> source files (configure.ac/Makefile.am). I'm increasingly being
> convinced that doing it in all autotools-based packages is a good
> idea.

Would you consider the existence of autotools autogenerated files inside
an upstream source a valid reason to rebuild upstream source in a
get-orig-source target?

More generally: Would you consider it a valid reason for rebuilding
upstream source if upstream forgot to `make (dist)clean`?

In several cases the answer "yes" to both questions would have saved me
a certain amount of time because I cared about "purists complaining that
debian/rules clean does not restore whatever crap was there upstream".

Kind regards

    Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de