Re: Best practice for cleaning autotools-generated files?

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:35 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> Well, I have been doing this, for a LONG time, to preserve my sanity when
> working as upstream or in a native auto-tooled package:
>
> 1. No spawn from autotooling allowed in the VCS.  EVER.  .gitignore it
>   away at once.  Autogenerated files inside the VCS repo are almost
>   always a bad idea.  It was madness with CVS, it was bad mojo with
>   SVN, and it is certainly at least an annoyance with git.

I always do this.

> 2. Add an autogen.sh script that makes it trivial to retool everything as
>   needed.  Keep it up-to-date.

Does your autogen.sh script ever become anything more than calling
autoreconf with some specific options?

> 3. I always hook the debian package to retool on package build.  I have
> 4. Just deal with the annoyance in the debian clean target, but do use
> 5. Cheerfully ignore any purists complaining that debian/rules clean does
>   not restore whatever crap was there upstream.

I generally don't bother with these unless I'm patching the autotools
source files (configure.ac/Makefile.am). I'm increasingly being
convinced that doing it in all autotools-based packages is a good
idea.

--
bye,
pabs