Re: Best practice for cleaning autotools-generated files?

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 23:35:59 +0000
Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:55:54PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Other tools, like svn-buildpackage, don't have this problem, via the
> > mergeWithUpstream support and/or a ../tarballs/ directory. Not perfect
> > but it works.
> [...]
>
> mergeUpstream works only if you never want to look at upstream changes.

Personally, I'll use debdiff on the .dsc to view changes of all types,
prior to further testing / installation / pbuilder / upload etc. The
upstream changes are available and, in some ways, having a
separate ../tarballs/ directory means that I can unpack
both .orig.tar.bz2's and compare the upstream code directly without
needing to think about the effect of Debian changes, if I want to look
at these in isolation.

Generally though, my problems are confined to a single corner case:
native packages using autotools.

It's such a minor irritation for this specific package that I haven't
got the need to change the package build system (the package code is
stable), I haven't even got sufficient need to change the VCS. One day
I'll get around to a proper solution but I am curious about whether
others have similar problems with such packages. It probably comes down
to a bad choice of build system, if I'm honest.

--

Neil Williams