Re: Best practice for cleaning autotools-generated files?

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:55:54PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 22:29:57 +0000
> Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org> wrote:
[...]
> >    Since I use (or plan to use) git-buildpackage, I don't have a
> > tarball which could serve as an authoritative whitelist. Thus an
> > additional whitelist refresh step would be required every time I
> > merge the upstream branch into the debian branch. That's bad.
>
> Is this a case of a problem with a tool causing more work? Fix the
> tool? Change your choice of tool?

Yes, autotools indeed seems to require far more work than it saves.
(I know that's not what you meant, but it is the cause of this
problem.)

> Other tools, like svn-buildpackage, don't have this problem, via the
> mergeWithUpstream support and/or a ../tarballs/ directory. Not perfect
> but it works.
[...]

mergeUpstream works only if you never want to look at upstream changes.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus