Re: Bugs in Backported Packages

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> That would equally make "all bpo bugs go to the BTS" in my case. Thanks, but no,
> thanks. Especially not if the "bug" is caused by a external package and/or debhelper
> backported but its scripts not adapted back to lenny so that e.g. the built packages
> don't call update-mime-database.

If the bug is found in the appropriate version and tagged
appropriately, then it's trivial to ignore and/or exclude. The main
reason to have the bugs filed in the BTS is so that it's easy to
promote them from a case where the bug is "bpo only" to the case where
the bug affects all versions of the package.

> I don't think Joey will be happy if I reassigned this bug to
> debhelper, even with a + backports tag.

That's not a bug in debhelper; it's a bug in the backport of the
package, so it shouldn't be filed against debhelper. [Though, perhaps
it could be a wishlist request; I don't know.]

Don Armstrong

--
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing
that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot