Re: Bugs in Backported Packages

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 21:56:21 +0200, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 12:46:12PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > An alternative solution is to just have reportbug mail the backport
> > bug reporting mailing list, and have people bounce messages as
> > appropriate to the BTS.
>
> Imho, this is the most sensible approach for now. The number of bugs
> reported to backports-users was rather low in the past, so there is not
> much benefit from spending a lot of time on something that's gonna safe
> a bit of time only. If this happens to change at some point in the
> future, we can still think about more "advanced" ways of handling this.

Doing a quick look at the backports mailing list archive, there are less
than 10 bugs reported per month on average.  That is for hundreds of
packages. Doing some fuzzy math, if you have a package that got
backported, you may see an additional 10/100 = 0.1 bug reports per
month (or roughly one bug per year). I don't see how that could be
remotely considered overburdensome.

Backports has now been declared "officially" supported by the project
as a whole.  That made it the collective responsibility of all
Debian Developers whether or not individuals in particular like it or
not.

Best wishes,
Mike