Re: Debug output etc, cluttering the terminal

Hello,

Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> writes:

> On su, 2010-08-15 at 14:19 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>> I would guess they still fill up the .xsession-errors file, though?  At
>> least for me, that file is mostly useless due to:
>>
>> « ...Too much output, ignoring rest... »
>>
>> as the last line.
>
> It's pretty clear to me that both .xsession-errors and the stderr of GUI
> apps are lousy ways of logging debugging messages. Something similar to
> syslog for a per-user/per-session would be a very useful thing to have,
> in my opinion.
after I had thought about the topic a little bit more I'm not sure if one
would like to go that way. If it becomes common pratice that  every
application logs more or less random stuff -via log file, a syslog
equivalent or other means- per default, we might waste tons of io ops and
cpu cycles with often can be used in a better way. It's better to switch
on logging in a more finegrained way.

Regards
hmw

--
biff4emacsen - A biff-like tool for (X)Emacs
http://www.c0t0d0s0.de/biff4emacsen/biff4emacsen.html