Re: Debug output etc, cluttering the terminal

On su, 2010-08-15 at 14:19 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> I would guess they still fill up the .xsession-errors file, though?  At
> least for me, that file is mostly useless due to:
>
> « ...Too much output, ignoring rest... »
>
> as the last line.

It's pretty clear to me that both .xsession-errors and the stderr of GUI
apps are lousy ways of logging debugging messages. Something similar to
syslog for a per-user/per-session would be a very useful thing to have,
in my opinion.

A systematic way of doing that would help with log rotation (thus saving
disk space), and bug reporting (automatically attach logs for the
crashed process), etc.