Re: Debug output etc, cluttering the terminal

Quoting Michael Welle (mwe012008@gmx.net):
> Hello,
>
> what is the reason that many applications clutter the terminal with
> output that is obvisously debug output? Lets take digikam as an
> example:

(I read most other comments in this thread before writing this)

I have to concur to everything that was brought by poeple who *don't*
want this debug gibberish to appear either in their terminal or in
their ~/.xsession-errors:

Here's mine, started yesterday morning....and I barely did nothing
since then as I'm more travelling around Vermont that playing with my
KDE apps:

bubulle@mykerinos:~/travail/debian/translation/po-debconf/gitolite> ls -l ~/.xsession-errors
-rw------- 1 bubulle bubulle 2511641 15 août  18:28 /home/bubulle/.xsession-errors

That's 2 megabytes of....crap:

startkde: Starting up...
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_kded4.so
.../...
kephald starting up
XRANDR error base:  163
RRInput mask is set!!
RandRScreen::loadSettings - adding mode:  73 1280 x 800
RandRScreen::loadSettings - adding mode:  74 1280 x 800
.../...

And this for gazillion of lines....I should try some day to check
~/.xsession-errors just after I open a session.

GNOME zealots will of course laugh and they might be right (at least
about this....apart from that, I still favor KDE as desktop
environment)...so I really hope there's a way to fix this.

I equally hate what clutters my konsole window when I happen to
manually launch a KDE app.

And, finally, as someone who often leaves his own desktop environment
opened for months in the same session, at work, I deeply concur to
Holger's comment about wasting space in home directories (mine being
constrained to a few gigabytes). Thankfully, there, I'm not using KDE
and not even Debian, indeed..:-)