Re: Bindv6only once again

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, Brian May wrote:
> On 14 June 2010 16:35, Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it> wrote:
> > I believe that now we fixed ~everything which can be fixed, so this
> > leaves us with the proprietary Java implementation which apparently Sun
> > is unwilling to fix.
>
> Is there software that still requires this proprietary Java
> implementation? I hear openjdk is getting better all the time.

Yes.  OpenJDK doesn't have all the crap required for crypto (or something
like that. All I know is that no Brazilian linux user can file his Income
Tax forms with OpenJDK, we have to use the Sun JDK).

> Is proprietary Java the only reason we should keep having bindv6only=0?

No.  Other software not in Debian will also have the same problem.  Not all
of it will be fixed/fixable.

> For me, bindv6only=0 seems like an ugly hack designed to make existing
> applications work without change. Although all these arguments have
> been hashed out before, no point to repeat them.

Actually, one probably has to mess with /etc/gai.conf to get glibc to not do
anything surprising for IPv6-braindamaged applications (i.e. those who work
partially, maybe depending on the bindv6only setting) if one wants to be
safe from IPv4/IPv6 misbehaviour.

On a dual stack box and any application that does NOT work in ipv6only=1
mode, you likely have to firewall/ACL off IPv4, IPv6, IPv4-mapped-in-IPv6
([::ffff:a.b.c.d]) and IPv6-compatible-IPv4 ([::a.b.c.d]).  Icky.   Expect a
lot of problems over this as IPv6 connectivity becomes more widely used.

BTW, this is a problem MS Windows won't have.  They require explicit IPv6
sockets, so it is basically ipv6only=1 for them.

  Henrique Holschuh