Re: Default value of net.ipv6.bindv6only should revert to 0

Zitat von Salvo Tomaselli <tiposchi@tiscali.it>:
OTOH, it defaults to 1 in Windows Vista/7, probably as compatibility
to XP which didn't have a dual-IP stack.
I don't think we should care about what windows does, there can't be
compatibility anyway.

I also don't really see the issues with bindv6only=0. If you listen on
all interfaces, it makes is easier. If you only listen on specific
interfaces, it's not in the way.
The problem is that freebsd has bindv6only=1 by default, but i personally
think it is a bug in the kernel.

We are discussing this for linux, not freebsd, don't we?

Just let any application which cannot cope with it install another
file in /etc that sets it back to 0. Let's have a configuration file
war :-(
Apparently rewriting configuration of other packages is against the policy.

You can use another file that is parsed after the problematic setting. How can this be a policy issue? If one package maintainer can decide to set this to 1 by default, another one can decide to set it back to 0.

HS