Re: Default value of net.ipv6.bindv6only should revert to 0

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:20 PM, Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr> wrote:
> ...and squeeze should be released with the default value that minimizes
> the number of broken behavior (not the number of bugs because whatever
> the default value is, if the application depends on a particular default
> value, the bug exists)

I agree.
I remember some arguments like "bindv6only=0 is a linux specific
option, and e.g. does not work with the freebsd kernel", which in
principle makes sense, but if too many applications break, it means we
are not ready for that.

Btw: how many are the affected applications?

> Some people around me have been hit by this java bug. They do not read
> d-d have they would have never found what was broken if they did not
> talk with me. This bug is really difficult to diagnose for a simple user.

Yes, and even reading the d-d, it took me a while to realized the
issues I was having were caused by the change to bindv6only.

About the java-6-sun package: would it be possible to work around that
by LD_PRELOADing a wrapper to socket/bind/setsockopt which set
BINDv6ONLY to 0 for IP sockets?

Cheers,
Ludovico