Re: Default value of net.ipv6.bindv6only should revert to 0

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 12:22:26AM -0700, Ludovico Cavedon wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:20 PM, Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr> wrote:
> > ...and squeeze should be released with the default value that minimizes
> > the number of broken behavior

That is, whatever is consistent with the standards, ie, bindb6only=0.

> I agree.
> I remember some arguments like "bindv6only=0 is a linux specific
> option, and e.g. does not work with the freebsd kernel", which in
> principle makes sense, but if too many applications break, it means we
> are not ready for that.

bindv6only=1 is a freebsd-only bug.

It was introduced in an attempt to secure misguided cases where people
blacklist some address ranges instead of whitelisting.

> > Some people around me have been hit by this java bug. They do not read
> > d-d have they would have never found what was broken if they did not
> > talk with me. This bug is really difficult to diagnose for a simple user.
>
> About the java-6-sun package: would it be possible to work around that
> by LD_PRELOADing a wrapper to socket/bind/setsockopt which set
> BINDv6ONLY to 0 for IP sockets?

It is not a bug to rely on the behaviour the RFCs specify, especially that
you need to do some work to work around the BSD limitation.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be