Re: About new source formats for packages without patches

]] Christian Perrier

[...]

| The next debate to have will come when it's time to change the default
| behaviour of dpkg-source. That debate has been mixed into the current
| discussion and is probably what makes it quite hairy.... It is very
| obviously controversial to decide when to change the default behaviour
| of such a key tool and I think that dpkg maintainers are probably
| slightly wrong to say that *they* will change the default at some
| moment in the future.

Given that what we are talking about is switching from «1.0 is implicit»
to «version is explicit», I don't think it makes much sense to ever
switch the default version for dpkg-source.  However, making it warn and
then eventually fail if you don't declare which version your package is
is something I think makes sense.

--
Tollef Fog Heen