Re: About new source formats for packages without patches

Quoting Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org):

(following up on Steve's mail but that's more a summary of my own
feelings about this topic)

> Fundamentally, I don't think that's a responsible decision for the dpkg
> maintainers to make.  You're making busywork for maintainers, and conflict
> for yourself, by insisting on this when there's no technical reason it
> should be the case.
>
> If what you care about is the format used by *new* packages, I think you
> should focus on making sure the templates maintainers are using (such as
> dh-make) set the desired default explicitly.  That would have an *immediate*
> payoff, unlike trying to change the implicit default, which involves a lot
> of work for a very small payoff in the distant future (i.e.: make all the
> developers manually add this file now so that, at some point when all
> packages have the file, the default can be changed and a different set of
> packages can remove the file again).

I'm surprised by the resistance I see to these changes. I see the
approach pushed by dpkg maintainers as fairly conservative with very
progressive changes to existing packages and much respect for people
who don't want to adopt the "new" source format.

The currently debated change is to kindly suggest to maintainers who
prefer sticking with 1.0 source format to mention this explicitely in
their source tree. I really fail to see what is the burden in this.

I very much doubt that dpkg maintainers want maintainers do a new
upload of their packages *just for this*. The point of this discusion
was, IIRC, to find the most appropriate way to add something to
lintian as a reminder to people that explicitely mentioning that the
package's source format is 1.0 could be a good idea. What seems to
have converged as of now (Russ' last proposal) seems to be a good
compromise.

As a frequent NMUer, I've decided to add that debian/source/format to
packages I'm NMUing. I don't see any rational argument to oppose
this. Of course, I will *not* switch packages to source v3 in
NMUs. Just explicitely mention that package <foo> is using v1.0.

The next debate to have will come when it's time to change the default
behaviour of dpkg-source. That debate has been mixed into the current
discussion and is probably what makes it quite hairy.... It is very
obviously controversial to decide when to change the default behaviour
of such a key tool and I think that dpkg maintainers are probably
slightly wrong to say that *they* will change the default at some
moment in the future.

Such decision probably belongs to a wider audience than dpkg
maintainers (no matter how wise they are) and I think it would make a
perfect topic for the CTTE (after all, you guys have nothing to
do..:-))....of course with the dpkg maintainers (who are those doing
the hard work).

But, definitely IMHO, having as many packages as possible to carry an
explicit information about the source format they want to use will be
a great help in such a decision.

An, unless I'v emisunderstood the current discussion, I don't really
see any problem in this.