Re: Serializing transitions

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2010-03-26, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> > That said I think those transition repositories are going to be more used
> > (and thus tested) than experimental because they are targeted. Users who
> > want to test the latest KDE or Gnome will happily add such a repository if
> > its sole purpose is to contain updated packages for this software (and
> > they should be able to report bugs already).
>
> But the big issue is here: what if the latest KDE SC requires you to remove
> Gnome (or the other way around) when one of them kicks off a transition
> of a common library. (libxklavier, poppler,  ... )

Interesting point.

This means that we should be able to have dependencies between
transitions. So that the KDE and Gnome transitions can depend on the
libxklavier transition. This means that rebuilds in the KDE/Gnome
repositories would automatically use the libxklavier repository.

But it might get complicated if the libxklavier transition can't be
completed without using newer packages which require the KDE and/or Gnome
transition. In that case, even if they are managed in 3 separate
repositories they must be finished together and dumped in unstable at the
same time (at least in theory).

> Should users then choose or can there be some way to also have merged
> repositories ?

We should be able to keep separate repos and ask users to add all the
relevant repos (those of interest and their dependencies).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/