Re: About new source formats for packages without patches

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 09:02:24AM +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:

> I'm surprised by the resistance I see to these changes. I see the
> approach pushed by dpkg maintainers as fairly conservative with very
> progressive changes to existing packages and much respect for people
> who don't want to adopt the "new" source format.

> The currently debated change is to kindly suggest to maintainers who
> prefer sticking with 1.0 source format to mention this explicitely in
> their source tree. I really fail to see what is the burden in this.

Part of the issue here is that this was a default enabled lintian
warning (it's not any more, but it was).  Since a lot of people like to
keep their packages lintian clean this comes over as somewhat more
urgent than what you're suggesting above.