Re: debian/rules "make -f" restriction

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         If I ahve the magic variables set, and call it as
>     % make -f ./debian/rules,
>   I get the standard behaviour.  If I turn around and call it as
>     % ./debian/rules,
>  I get totally different behaviour.

True but if you DON'T set the magic variable, you get the exact same
behaviour, whether you call "make -f ./debian/rules" or "./debian/rules".
And IMHO that's all that should be strictly required.

I don't expect anyone to accidently set a variable "SPECIAL_VDR_SUFFIX".
And whoever sets this variable does this for a reason and will surly not
call "make -f ./debian/rules". Besides this, it's well documented.

>         This is confusing. This is slick, and obfuscatory. By itself it
>  would qualify as a bug in my eyes.

Talking about obfuscated debian/rules... there's much, much worse out there!

I consider this, to be a friendly debian/rules:

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-vdr-dvb/vdr/vdr-plugin-epgsearch/trunk/debian/rules

...if you know cdbs and you might need to look up
/usr/share/vdr-dev/dependencies.sh. But the shebang simply is nothing to
worry about.

Tobias