Re: debian/rules "make -f" restriction

Le Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 04:02:32PM +0100, Tobi a écrit :

> Debian Policy 4.9 says about debian/rules:
>
> "It must start with the line #!/usr/bin/make -f, so that it can be
> invoked by saying its name rather than invoking make explicitly."

Dear all,

I also do not understand that rule. There are a larger number of packages that
are simply removing all the content from the make file, for instance like:

  #!/usr/bin/make -f
  %:
  	dh $@

or

  #!/usr/bin/make -f
  include /usr/share/R/debian/r-cran.mk

or any other variation on the theme.

I think that the key part of the Policy is the interface: debian/rules can be
called with arguments such as ‘build’, ‘clean’, etc. When unique features of
GNU Make are not needed, I do not see much advantage in requiring that the
parts that actually do the work are wrapped into a makefile. Can’t we just
trust the maintainers instead of putting restrictions that in the end are only
increasing complexity for no benefit?

You know, this ‘Do-O-cracy’ stuff that is supposed to make Debian different and
is progrssively becoming a ‘Do-what-I-say’ with increasing archive restrictions
and penury of DDs caused by a too long recruitment process.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan