Re: debian/rules "make -f" restriction

On Thu, Oct 29 2009, Philipp Kern wrote:

> On 2009-10-29, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:
>> It is not an overridable error, and I haven't seen any reason yet to
>> convince me to make it one. You do have some reasons, but none I have
>> seen that would not be simple to do in make directly as well.
>>
>> As long as you have those packages wherever, feel free to do what you
>> want. Those you (want to) upload into Debian do need to follow policy.
>
> Looks like policy is in need of changing here.

        Given that this policy rule i massively followed (all but one
 set of packages from a single maintainer), that while there are a lot
 of elegant languages and different ways to build packages, and we had
 to chose one (I do not want to see ./debian/rules written in, say,
 shoop or algo, or the ultimately elegant smalltalk), I see no reason
 yet to change well established and uniformly followed policy.

        People might prefer to do things differently (I, and dh
 proponents, might think perl might be a great ./debian/rules
 interpreter), but ultimately this does not really come down to personal
 preference.  Policy is a standards document,  and changing this widely
 followed rule is going to take some compelling reason.

        manoj
--
Recent investments will yield a slight profit.