Re: debian/rules "make -f" restriction

On 2009-10-29, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29 2009, Philipp Kern wrote:
>> On 2009-10-29, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:
>>> It is not an overridable error, and I haven't seen any reason yet to
>>> convince me to make it one. You do have some reasons, but none I have
>>> seen that would not be simple to do in make directly as well.
>>> As long as you have those packages wherever, feel free to do what you
>>> want. Those you (want to) upload into Debian do need to follow policy.
>> Looks like policy is in need of changing here.
>         Given that this policy rule i massively followed (all but one
>  set of packages from a single maintainer), that while there are a lot
>  of elegant languages and different ways to build packages, and we had
>  to chose one (I do not want to see ./debian/rules written in, say,
>  shoop or algo, or the ultimately elegant smalltalk), I see no reason
>  yet to change well established and uniformly followed policy.

I didn't say that, right?  Please don't lay words into my mouth.  I said
"here" to specify the concrete case of policy describing the first n bytes
of debian/rules despite the interface being completely in accordance with
the normal procedures (i.e. being a Makefile and even make -f compliant).

Lintian's executable-not-elf-or-script speaks about scripts in general but I
don't see anything at first glance that specifies the first 3 bytes of
executables that are not scripts in the policy neither.

Regards,
Philipp Kern