Re: RFC: DEP-3: Patch Tagging Guidelines

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, Ben Finney wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Merging all those ideas, I suggest we drop Status/Commit/Patch and use
> > the following format:
> >
> > Origin: <upstream|backport|vendor|other> : <url-or-commit>
>
> I'd still suggest having the extra information optional in the case of
> anything but “other”:
>
>     "Origin: upstream" [ ": " <url-or-commit> ]
>     "Origin: backport" [ ": " <url-or-commit> ]
>     "Origin: vendor" [ ": " <url-or-commit> ]
>     "Origin: other: " <url-or-commit>

Well, if you read the spec, the URL-or-commit part is already optional. I
don't think that making it mandatory for the "other" case is important.
Anyone knows it's best if it's there...

> > Forwarded: <yes|no|not-needed|<url-or-text>>
>
> Again, I'll warn against specifying “one of these keywords, or whatever
> you like” since that begs for collisions in future when trying to
> introduce new keywords.

Contary to Origin, I believe the set of official value will never need to
be expanded so I preferred the simplified syntax. I'm trying hard to not
over-engineer the spec and make it really intuitive to follow.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/