Re: RFC: DEP-3: Patch Tagging Guidelines

On 15/06/09 at 18:12 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,
>
> please find below a first draft of DEP-3 that I called Patch Tagging
> Guidelines. The idea is to standardize a set of meta-information to embed
> in patches that we apply. Please review, share your comments and ideas of
> enhancements.

Thanks a lot for starting the discussion on this. I think that
standardizing on this would really help Debian and the free software
community as a whole.

>   * `Bug-<Vendor>` or `Bug` (optional)
>
>     It contains one or more URLs (space separated) pointing to the related bugs
>     (possibly fixed by the patch). The `Bug` field is reserved
>     for the bug URL(s) in the upstream bug tracker.

What about using Debian: (like Ubuntu's Patch Tagging Guidelines) to
indicate which Debian bug is fixed by this patch?

>   * `Status` (optional)

Why optional?

>   * `Signed-off-by` (optional)

I don't think that this field is necessary. If people want to credit
other people in their patches, they can do so in the Description:.

I Think that there's one field missing: DebianSpecific. This field would
indicate why the patch is Debian-specific, and should not be forwarded
upstream.

Thanks again,