Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 07:12:59AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> There is absolutely no reason why you can not mount a filesystem over
> /root later in the boot process. I agree that /root should/must exist
> at all time so one can login when for example fsck fails.

No, you must be able to log in even if /root have ended up in
/lost+found. Anything that relies on the existence of /root is bogus
and should be fixed. Note 17 in the FHS (that Giaocomo already quoted)
specifies how the system should handle the case when root's home cannot
be located - it must just work.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences