Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

On Fri, 08 May 2009, David Weinehall wrote:
> >         No. But we do leave /usr read-only the rest of the time, which
> >  is often 99.999% of the time. A separate /usr is required for this.
>
> Uhm, no?
>
> mount --bind /usr /usr

First, you'd need a RO bind mount (yes, it exists, but your command
doesn't do it).  Second, the filesystem is still RW, so it gains you
very little as far as data safety goes.

A separate /usr *is* the way to go if you don't want any writes in
that filesystem 99.9% of the time (i.e. when you're not doing an
upgrade).

  Henrique Holschuh