Re: ignoring the CoC in regards to cc:s (Re: Can we ship sources of a PDF file in the Debian diff?

Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> writes:

> As far as I see it:
>
>   * Debian has dropped the Reply-To header because it is "harmful" in
>     some way.
>
>   * Debian has mandated that all replies must behave as if Reply-To existed.

If this were the case, this would be an easy solution.  However, it's
not.  Debian has mandated that all *public* replies must behave as if
Reply-To existed, but all *private* replies behave as if it did not, and
repliers must distinguish between the two.

Simplifications that drop that distinction will always miss the point.

The primary problem with setting Reply-To is that it makes private
replies extremely difficult (in clients that honor the RFC-defined
meaning of the header field, at least) and significantly increases the
chances that private replies will accidentally become public.  I don't
think that's the right social direction in which to go.