Re: NEW processing

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:32:23PM +0100, Romain Beauxis wrote:

> I have several very small ocaml packages waiting in NEW for several weeks now.
> I am upstream on these packages, and, honnestly, it takes few minutes to check
> them (only 3 files of code in tarball).

Of course, keep in mind, we wouldn't know that the package only has 3
files until we check.

> On the other hand, I have been trying to move to the new libgavl for some
> times. Although I did make mistake in the copyright file, each round through
> NEW took me almost 2 months, which means that the transition is on-going
> since almost october or november.

As a hint.  When this happens, respond to the REJECT email you get when
you re-upload so that we know that there is a package we have already
checked,  so that we know you are re-uploading and addressing our
concerns.

> However, if like 3 DDs claim they have reviewed the package's license and that
> eveythying is like GPL, along with a subjective views on the complexity of
> the package's check, then the work should be much more faster afterward.

Knowing that 3 other DDs have checked a package doesn't change our work
at all, unless that reduces the number of uploads.   If a package has
been uploaded that 3 other DDs have signed off on, we are still going to
do the same checking that we would on a package that didn't have such a
review.  This is not to say that I wouldn't welcome such a thing.  I'd
hope that many of the packages we see wouldn't be uploaded if more
people were looking at them before they were uploaded.

stew