Re: NEW processing

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 12:32 +0100, Romain Beauxis wrote:
> My personal experience is not consistent with this.
>
> I have several very small ocaml packages waiting in NEW for several weeks now.
> I am upstream on these packages, and, honnestly, it takes few minutes to check
> them (only 3 files of code in tarball).
>
> On the other hand, I have been trying to move to the new libgavl for some
> times. Although I did make mistake in the copyright file, each round through
> NEW took me almost 2 months, which means that the transition is on-going
> since almost october or november.

What would be stopping you from requesting a review from one or more of
your peers of these packages before uploading them to NEW?

These reviews would make it more likely that your packages had made it
through NEW in one go, much reducing the time that you have to wait.

In addition to that it would have reduced the number of packages the
ftp-masters have to review, and so sped up the queue somewhat for
everyone else.

There seems to be an interest in reviewing things in NEW, but this
is difficult due to NEW policies. Why not simply move the review to
be before NEW? For example, post your packages that will have to go
through NEW to debian-mentors@, requesting a NEW-like check, and
upload when you are satisfied with the reviews that you have.

This would achieve much the same effect, and not require changing
the NEW policy, as the packages aren't being distributed on project
machines.

Yes, the extra few days would be a delay before getting in to NEW,
but if you really care about that then upload to NEW at the same
time as requesting the review, and then upload a fixed package if
any problems are found.

Thanks,

James