Re: NEW processing

Le Wednesday 25 March 2009 11:08:28 Stefano Zacchiroli, vous avez écrit :
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:11:03AM +0100, Guus Sliepen wrote:
> > > Most of the time this is the case. But, if you upload a large, complex
> > > package, that might get passed by for a while so that several small,
> > > easy packages might be processed in the same time.
> >
> > Obviously this is causing starvation.
>
> No, it is not (on the assumption that we have simultaneous people
> processing NEW which, AFAIK, is the case).

My personal experience is not consistent with this.

I have several very small ocaml packages waiting in NEW for several weeks now.
I am upstream on these packages, and, honnestly, it takes few minutes to check
them (only 3 files of code in tarball).

On the other hand, I have been trying to move to the new libgavl for some
times. Although I did make mistake in the copyright file, each round through
NEW took me almost 2 months, which means that the transition is on-going
since almost october or november.

I have refrained myself from complaining so far, since it is usually not
constructive, but until last week, all my debian-related activities were
stuck in NEW. (Un)fortunately, gmerlin was rejected last week since I missed
some licence headers in the doc/ so I can now fix this and wait again for two
months.

I would strongly advertise a public collaborative license and copyright check.
That is the kind of work that we could all do and report in the NEW queue.

Of course, the work that ftp-masters do is very important, in particular for
checking unsual licence, or checking archive consistency, so thay should have
the last word.

However, if like 3 DDs claim they have reviewed the package's license and that
eveythying is like GPL, along with a subjective views on the complexity of
the package's check, then the work should be much more faster afterward.

Romain