Re: Transition of initscripts to new order / sequence number

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 09:16:31AM +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
>> It seems to me that it would be a lot less effort to fix this by removing
>> file-rc in Debian, which has only a handful (137) of popcon reports.  Even
>> if we take into consideration that popcon isn't a good source of absolute
>> numbers, this comes out to .2% of popcon reports that we're spending this
>> effort on, and for what benefit?
> Benefit of having an abstraction layer.

That's not a benefit, that's a burden.  You don't abstract things that you
don't *need* to have abstracted.

> - They never had to fiddle with runlevels, so they don't known what
> a nuisance it is with sysv-rc.

As far as I'm concerned, that's an argument for improving the tools for
managing runlevels via sysv-rc, not for changing the update-rc.d API.