Re: Transition of initscripts to new order / sequence number

* Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>, 2009-03-21, 17:07:
I know some package maintainers handle this by ignoring the existence
of file-rc and just removing symlinks directly in /etc/rcX.d/.  As
long as file-rc exist and is supposed in Debian, I believe it is a bad
idea. :(

It seems to me that it would be a lot less effort to fix this by removing
file-rc in Debian, which has only a handful (137) of popcon reports.  Even
if we take into consideration that popcon isn't a good source of absolute
numbers, this comes out to .2% of popcon reports that we're spending this
effort on, and for what benefit?
Benefit of having an abstraction layer.

Keep in mind that lost of users will not install file-rc, even if it is superior to sysv-rc, because:
- sysv-rc is the default.
- They never heard that alternatives to sysv-rc exist.
- They never had to fiddle with runlevels, so they don't known what
a nuisance it is with sysv-rc.
- If you try to install file-rc, apt displays a big red warning which suggests that you are doing something utterly wrong.

--
Jakub Wilk