Re: Transition of initscripts to new order / sequence number

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 12:13:37AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I know some package maintainers handle this by ignoring the existence
> of file-rc and just removing symlinks directly in /etc/rcX.d/.  As
> long as file-rc exist and is supposed in Debian, I believe it is a bad
> idea. :(

It seems to me that it would be a lot less effort to fix this by removing
file-rc in Debian, which has only a handful (137) of popcon reports.  Even
if we take into consideration that popcon isn't a good source of absolute
numbers, this comes out to .2% of popcon reports that we're spending this
effort on, and for what benefit?