Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 08:28:34AM +0000, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2009-03-20, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > All of what you've demonstrated is part of what Mike covered with
> > ???one has to go through all of the source files anyway???, is it not?
> > The point I got from his message is that, having *already* accepted
> > the burden of going through all the files, one can then record the
> > copyright status while doing that.
>
> So far, comaintainers of gnome, kde, webkit, xulrunner and firefox are
> saying that this is a major extra burden.
>
> The kernel team seems to have a full waiver for listing copyright
> holders.
>
> So please listen to the packagers of "big" packages what is a burden and
> what is not.

No one is saying it isn't a chore.

As a maintainer, it is your duty to make sure that everything you upload is DFSG
free, which means checking every single file. As you have to do this anyway, it
makes sense to record that information in debian/copyright. If you maintain a
very large package, then you should *expect* this to take a long time.

If that's too much effort for your, get a co-maintainer or a different package.