Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> writes:

> On 2009-03-20, Mike O'Connor <stew@debian.org> wrote:
> > To me, it seems like since one has to go through all of the source
> > files anyway, creating a list of copyright holders while you are
> > doing it is a trivial task. I don't see why making this list takes
> > any time at all really.
>
> It is a very trivial, but very time consuming task to document the
> copyright holders.
>
> $ find . -name '*.cpp' | wc --lines
> 923
> $ find . -name '*.h' | wc --lines
> 1001
>
> find all the well formed copyright holder headers:
> $ grep -rhi Copyright *  | grep "@"| sed 's/\*//g;s/#//g;s,/,,g;s/
> //g;s/^ //' | sort -u  | wc --lines
> 444
>
> and then there is all the not well formed ones who needs to be
> manually found, and ordered into a copyright file of any format.
>
> And this is just looking at one of my source packages.

All of what you've demonstrated is part of what Mike covered with
“one has to go through all of the source files anyway”, is it not?
The point I got from his message is that, having *already* accepted
the burden of going through all the files, one can then record the
copyright status while doing that.

> > Unless you are not actually looking at the code you upload, which
> > would worry me for other reasons as well.

Are you proposing some third option?

--
 \          “Our products just aren't engineered for security.” —Brian |
  `\             Valentine, senior vice-president of Microsoft Windows |