Re: "Debian women may leave due to 'sexist' post"

2008/12/27 Всеволод Величко <torkvemada@nigma.ru>:
> 2008/12/27 Amaya <amaya@debian.org>:
>> When I reflected upon my need for approval, I also found my answer to
>> the one million dollars question: Why are there so few women in
>> computing?
>> For me, the patriachy is an acceptable answer. Find your own, it is an
>> enlightment trip, and you do not need to aome to my same answer.
>
> As for me, if someone is not interested in something, why he must be
> involved to it? E. g., Debian community has not so many members from
> Saint Helena island, and what does it mean? Discrimination? Something
> else? No, their majority probably don't use internet at all, and the
> rested are not interested in Debian.

The total population of Saint Helena is significantly smaller (<5000
people) than the total population of women in countries in which
Debian is used (and where internet access is readily available, etc),
so your comparison is not a fair one.

> So why we are not accusing
> communtiy of discriminating Saint Helena inhabitants? :)

I think that if a Debian developer posted an off-topic message to the
mailing list in which people from Saint Helena were talked about in a
derogatory fashion, it would be reasonable for that to be regarded as
discriminatory, especially if the OP was unrepentant.

> Hopefully, no Debian members will be against women joining to Debian.
> But as we have no discrimination, they should satisfy all requirements
> put in for all candidates. No more :)

FWIW, I agree, as long as the "we have no discrimination" statement is
a promise that is kept.

Regards,

Sam

PS. [OT] If you are unfamiliar with the general arguments in favour of
having a women's movement even where a nominally equivalent men's
movement does not exist - in this case, for having a "debian women"
group even if there is no "debian men" group - you may find it useful
to read Germaine Greer's "The Female Eunuch", which is widely
available[1]. Besides, it's an important book and IMHO worth reading
because of its historical significance, even if you don't like it
(although I do like it).

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/ISBN_0-374-52762-8