Re: Generating debian package using cmake (take 3)

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >> Joey Hess has done some work to allow debhelper to handle the case of files
> >> under debian/ that should be ignored (since they can't be deleted as part of
> >> a diff); I'm afraid I don't know the current state of this work and haven't
> >> heard of it being much used in practice to date, so I don't know that it's
> >> very practical - I certainly think it's ugly to have to do things this way,
> >> even if it's /possible/ to work around upstream shipping debian/ in the
> >> tarball.
> >
> > BTW, the new source format "3.0 (quilt)" will always ignore any
> > pre-existing debian dir in the .orig tarball. It will completely remove
> > that directory (if it exists) before unpacking the debian tarball.
> >
> > So this is a problem that is approaching its end.
>
> ok then I should not worry too much about that.

Until that format is accepted officially by Debian (which will not happen
before the lenny release), you are certainly encouraged to not put the
debian dir in official tarballs that you distribute if you want someone
else to integrate and maintain your software within Debian.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog