Re: Generating debian package using cmake (take 3)

* Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> [2008-06-24 23:19]:

> In take 3, I implemented entirely by hand all the proper debian files,
> as can be found here:
>
>   http://gdcm.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gdcm/trunk/debian/
>
>   [Ready]
>
> Well I was told that this is also a bad idea, and a maintainer should
> not include those debian specific file directly in the upstream
> source.
>
>   [Aim]
>
> So my question is: is this correct ?
>
>   [Fire]
>
> If this is correct, I have to exclude the 'debian' directory when
> creating a release tarball.
> If this is ok to leave the debian directory, should the packager
> maintain a diff to the upstream source debian files, or should he/she
> just pretend those file are not there ?

It is okay to have the debian directory in your tarball but, if you go down
this road, it will be desirable that the Debian maintainer/sponsor for your
package has commit access to the SVN repository.

I am co-maintaining a package in this situation (PLplot).  The other
co-maintainer, who is one of the upstream developers of PLplot, is not a DD.
The debian directory is maintained at the SVN upstream repository [1] and is
also included in the tarball.  The changes in the debian/* files from those
in the tarball appear in the .diff.gz file.

[1] http://plplot.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/plplot/trunk/debian/

--
Rafael