Re: Generating debian package using cmake (take 3)

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 02:00:17AM +0200, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

> It is okay to have the debian directory in your tarball but, if you go down
> this road, it will be desirable that the Debian maintainer/sponsor for your
> package has commit access to the SVN repository.

Even if this is the case, it is still annoying for NMUers to have to deal
with not being able to delete files from the debian/ directory as part of an
NMU (which can plausibly be required in order to fix a bug), or equally
annoying for upstream to have to release a new upstream version in order to
remove a file from the debian/ directory.

Joey Hess has done some work to allow debhelper to handle the case of files
under debian/ that should be ignored (since they can't be deleted as part of
a diff); I'm afraid I don't know the current state of this work and haven't
heard of it being much used in practice to date, so I don't know that it's
very practical - I certainly think it's ugly to have to do things this way,
even if it's /possible/ to work around upstream shipping debian/ in the
tarball.