Re: Mailing lsit code of conduct, again

* Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff@gmail.com> [080518 22:02]:
> In this modern age of a mailman that lets subscribers configure their
> subscription to avoid duplicates, and procmail filters that help do
> the same at the client end (and some mail clients that have similar
> abilities of their own - ie gmail)... why does this funny and akward
> rule of debian lists persist?

Because it is the only rule that allows people to set their own
policies? Just because you do not distinguish between list mail and
list mail CCed to you, that is no reason to force everyone to do so.

> Frankly, I want to just use reply/reply-all normally on any of the
> many mailing lists I am sub'd to,

Then please do not use any mailing list I'm subscribed to.

> and if a few people in the thread
> are CC'd, I don't think it is a reasonable expectation that I have to
> decide whether each one of them wants or not the CC.

People already CCed are a different beast. But CCing the creator of
a mail by default is not reasonable.

> A funny side-effect of this is that I've seen subscribers of debian
> lists get in trouble in non debian lists because they use funny
> headers in lists with differnt expectations

Yes, just like they might get in trouble when they do not top-quote,
do not shout, or when they do not spit when speaking to a Klingon.

	Bernhard R. Link