Re: Mailing lsit code of conduct, again

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> writes:
>
> > Your mail message individually to me is not wanted, and I have a
> > reasonable expectation through the mailing list code of conduct
> > *and* through my explicit request that you not send it.
>
> The solution to this problem is to fix the mailing list code of
> conduct to stop creating this expectation.

Presumably the code of conduct requests it because it was deemed
desirable.

> We don't enforce it anyway, and all this provision seems to do in
> practice is create these annoying arguments periodically.

No, that's not all it does. It also has the significant effect that
discussions in these forums do not, in the main, generate needless
individual copies of messages in the participants's mailboxes. I, and
presumably the people who drafted the code of conduct, continue to
find that a very favourable outcome of this provision.

--
 \         "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing |
  `\                                              well."  -- Anonymous |