Re: divergence from upstream as a bug

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 10:07:33PM +0000, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > In my original mail, I said that bugs tagged as divergences could
> > > likewise be sorted out of the way.
> >
> >   I'm not convinced
>
> You're not convinced that divergences could be sorted out of the way in
> the bug display? Is there something in the BTS code that makes you think
> that cannot be done?

  I'm not convinced that the BTS is the best UI for doing so yes. Not
that the BTS isn't patchable to work this way.

> > and for what it's worth, it's yet another
> > (unreadable) place upstreams will have to look at (and won't because
> > they just can't follow every bug tracker out there that isn't theirs).
>
> You still seem to be missing things that I wrote in my first mail. In
> particular, bugs can be forwarded upstream.

  No I read them, and I'm interested in how you intend to do so
_automatically_. Because if it isn't automatic, then we're back to the
current situation _plus_ filing bug in our own BTS. I fail to see where
the revolution is.

  And I believe the "automation" of sending bugs upstream unsolvable,
because I tried to solve it, and failed. Of course, when upstream is
Mailing-list driven this is easy. But when your upstream is KDE (or
glibc, or ..) that uses a bugzilla with subprojects, components and so
on, before even _thinking_ of filing a bug, you have to file half a
dozen of fields to document where your patch should go. And _this_ is
painful, and _this_ is why so few bugs are forwarded upstream. And then
not so long time ago you even had to follow the upstream bug because
nothing did that for you (and here bts-link was a big improvement for
many teams I think).

  I'm sorry but "we can forward patches upstream" look like either
you're missing a real technical problem in your proposal, or handwaving.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit