Re: A suggestion

Thank you for all those replies.. I am really excited to read those.

The latest problem I am experiencing is that I have a recently
purchased Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop and I tried installing debian etch
in it. Most of the drivers were not detected like display, audio,
modem etc. I tried posting my problem in LQ but didnt get a result to
solve my problem. But I saw Dell recomending ubuntu for the same
machine. I tried it and with satisfacoty result. But, I think ubuntu
doesnt provide necessary packages for development in its bacis CD.
Even I cant use Xwindows programming in it. I have the full CD set of
Etch. And I wanted it to work well.

This is what inspired me to give that suggestion. So I cannot
contribute for the development. I am trying to learn more. If I can do
something new, I will surely contribute.

Thank you once again

Regards

Ravi Krishnan Unni

On 3/27/08, Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
> > Ubuntu does seem to try harder to make auto detection of x86 hardware
> > work well, while Debian tries to make sure all architectures work well,
> > although given the scope of all that hardware, it may not be quite as
> > automatic.
>
> To be honest: I see no real contradiction in perfect detection of x86
> hardware while trying best to detect other hardware as good as possible.
> So I would regard the argument: "We do not detect x86 as good as Ubuntu
> because we also detect other hardware." as completely void and outsiders
> will consider this as ignorance.
>
> > Of course Ubuntu also updates their releases way more often than Debian,
> > and willl work easier on new hardware then Debian as a result, since you
> > can't expect a 2 your old distribution to work perfectly on a 1 year old
> > machine since the hardware hadn't even been designed when the software
> > was released.
>
> This sounds more reasonable (but will trigger the next question which
> is ranking high on top of FAQ lists). ;-)
>
> Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.
>
> --
> http://fam-tille.de